Focus on Dunes West
Dunes West has been referred to as “The Pinnacle of Graceful Southern Living.” With a championship golf course, country club, massive oak trees, waterfront views, marshes, creeks and miles of walking trails, residents enjoy Lowcountry lushness and serene, upscale living. With beautifully appointed spaces—from townhomes to expansive estates—the community is known for its elegant and welcoming vibe with a focus on family and laid-back luxury. Minutes from the beaches, Towne Centre and downtown, Dunes West is convenient yet feels miles away from the busy pace of Mount Pleasant.
Fast Facts About Dunes West
- In the 1600s, Sewee Indians lived along the Wando River, not far from what is now the Dunes West Golf Club.
- In the 1700s, a large portion of land that makes up Dunes West was once referred to as Four Men’s Ramble, a large plantation, producing bricks, rice and cotton.
- Famous historical figures who once resided in Dunes West are the Vanderhorsts, Thomas Lynch and A.S. Willington (the first editor of the Charleston News and Courier).
- In 1930, one of the wealthiest women in the nation, Henrietta Hartford, developed a large estate that included a mansion, pool, tennis courts, golf course and gardens, some of which remain today in Dunes West.
- In 1991, an 18-hole Arthur Hill golf course was completed along Dunes West’s marshes and creeks and is known as one of the Top Ten Resort Courses & America’s 50 Best Courses.
- In 2005, the Weiland family acquired the golf club and residential acreage in Dunes West.
- Dunes West amenities include a private, gated community, 6,000 square foot clubhouse, tennis, athletic club, adult-only swimming, children’s water park and play area, as well as miles of walking/nature trails and sidewalks.
- Pinckney Elementary and Cario Middle school are within walking distance. High school students may attend Wando High, ranked as one of the top schools in SC.
- Owner/Developer: John Wieland Homes
- Landscape Architect: Seamon, Whiteside & Associates, Inc.
- Dunes West includes: Brickfall Estates, Cypress Pointe, Darts Pointe, Ellington Woods, Heritage, the Gates, Deer Walk, Downing Place, Dunes Mill, The Harbor, Hartford Village, Marsh Cove, Marsh Landing, Osprey Cove, Palmetto Hall, Richmond Cove, Wagner Point, Whispering Marsh and Woodlands.*
- Units built as of December 2015 – 1677; Total units approved – 2511*
- Price range: $200K plus to $3M
*Town of Mount Pleasant 2016 Demographics Report